OFF: Comets

Robert B. Welch rbwelch at NETCOM.COM
Thu Feb 27 01:34:02 EST 1997

On Wed, 26 Feb 1997, M Holmes wrote:

> William Fuller writes:
>
> > On Wed, 26 Feb 1997, Baron Bloom wrote:
> > > Here is a page that has some trippy spacy stuff, w photos of Hale-Bopp:
> > > http://www.artbell.com/index-main.html
>
> Where is Hale-Bopp at the moment? I was on a rare out of town expedition
> and noticed an even rarer clear sky. I thought I saw something that
> didn't belong there off the left side of the crosstie of the Northern
> Cross. Magnitude was about 1.0
>
>                             *
>

>            X       *        *         *
>            ^
>    Mystery Object
>                             *
>

>                              *
>

> So was that it or was it just a plane coming in or something?
>
> Maybe I'll get a good view when I'm in Canada (Banff) at the start of April?

Congratulations. You found it. Yes, that was Comet Hale-Bopp. The start
of April should be a wonderful time to view it, as it will be at
perihelion on April 1. The comet should be a very prominent object in the
evening sky. And for observers far enough north, it should be visible all
night.

Robert Welch

"Tell me about your portfolio! Lie to me about your family!"
Cmdr. Ivanova, Babylon 5, while having "sex".

"Sometimes the segue actually makes sense."
Joe Bob Briggs, drive-in movie critic
                                             rbwelch at netcom.com