OFF: Civ I happiness

Paul Mather paul at CSGRAD.CS.VT.EDU
Thu Feb 27 11:04:27 EST 1997

On Thu, 27 Feb 1997, RJ wrote:

> this might be true when the game designers put out CIV III, and it
> incorporates laws to be placed on
> the civs.  you could have hangings and such for bizaare sex-acts on sunday,
> life imprisonment for
> consuming whatever substance the player is currently turned off about and
> all.
> and you have to come up with the perfect dope for the masses. make them
> think they are happy,
> while keeping them sure that they are helpless to change anything except
> thru proper channels which
> only APPEAR to lead somewhere.       rj

Actually, the thing that always irked me a little in Civ I was the way in
which happiness seemed closely tied to religion.  Perhaps I am
misunderstanding or misremembering, but it seems largely that the primary
way to reduce the number of unhappy campers in a city (aside from the
effects of military units) is through temples, cathedrals, and Elvis
(which is a religion in itself:).  (Okay, there's the coliseum, but sport
seems to be another religion---in the USA at least.;)  As an experiment, I
often tried to delay "inventing" religion as long as possible in the
scenarios I played, but, alas, there is no way to reach the lofty
intellectual heights of "Future Tech. X"  without accepting "Bob" into our
lives.

Or kill me.

Is Civ II any different?  From what I've heard here, it seems that you
could cut Religion out of the technology tree altogether.  Is that true?

Cheers,

Paul.

obGig: Metallica, Roanoke Civic Center Coliseum, 26/2/97

e-mail: paul at csgrad.cs.vt.edu                    A stranger in a strange land.