BOC-L Digest - 30 Dec 1996 to 31 Dec 1996

Ted Jackson jr. EL84 tojackso at LIBRARY.SYR.EDU
Thu Jan 2 07:40:34 EST 1997

> From:          John A Swartz <jswartz at MBUNIX.MITRE.ORG>

> Reports on Eric are mixed.  I read some stuff on AOL regarding the shows
> and most thought the band kicked ass at the recent shows.  A few mentioned
> that Eric was in much better form than he was in October, which is
> encouraging.  Then again, it sounds as if he's still not his old self.

Curiously consistent with the theory that AOL is very much pro-3OC.
I think a lot of people are just so happy to see them on the road and
working on a new disc, that they're willing to overlook much in the
interest of their enthusiasm.  I confess to falling into this group
from time to time...

> My biggest concern is that the band's setlist appears to be shrinking by
> one or two songs, and is about as STALE as I've seen it.  With the
> exception of the 2 new songs (and even doing "Harvest Moon" every show
> for the past 2 or 3 years seems old hat - what with all the choices of
> "new material" they have), this is the same setlist they've been doing
> for years.  What happened to The Vigil?  Lips in the Hills?  Shooting
> Shark?  Flaming Telepaths?  See You in Black?  and on and on...  Some

I was really disappointed that they didn't do 'Lips.'  I think I've
only heard them do this one once.  FT I can understand given EB's
vocal problems.  That's a tough song when he's at his best.  Not
having seen them in so long, the material played didn't bother me
at all...

> of these can be attributed to Eric's recent vocal troubles (he may be
> better, but the setlist is still very Buck-oriented as far as lead vocals
> go), but not all.  One has to wonder why with a new album with some
> very good tunes on it due out in a few months, and a massive catalog of
> great old material (some of which hasn't been done in years), why do
> they continue to simply re-cycle the same stuff?
>
> John

I hear ya.   I think it must be that they think these songs go over
better with the crowds than others?  Or maybe they're songs that the
band feels most confident in performing?  The worst thing about a
stagnant set list is that it implies that BOC has resigned itself to
being a nostalgia act.  They seem to think that fans won't accept a
little diversity, which I don't think is the case.  The Utica crowd
certainly accepted the new songs.  They even liked 'In Thee' which is
somewhat out of character for a crunching band like BOC.  The true
test will be when the new disc comes out.  Will they only play a
couple of songs from it, or will they  truly promote the record by
playing most all of it?  If they don't have enough confidence in the
new material to play it all live, how can they expect the fans to get
behind it?
theo