BOC Fans have a right to be selfish.

Ted Alger talger at PIPELINE.COM
Wed Jan 8 20:29:10 EST 1997

>Theo>True, but if they keep alienating fans and fail to draw in new ones
>with new material, how long can they expect to make money touring?
>If, as some have suggested, old fans are disgruntled over a stale
>setlist, doesn't 3OC owe it to itself to conserve as many fans as
>possible?  Personally, I hadn't seen them in quite a while 'til the
>28th, so I wasn't bored, but I have seen them a million times in the
>past, and frankly, even though I was exstatic, I would've loved more
>of the new stuff..."
>
>No disagreement there theo.  Afterall we pay our money to attend the
>shows and buy whats out there in terms of recordings.  This gives us the
>right to want this stuff.  Still if I look at it from their point of
>veiw, I'm sure Al would know, I bet they make more money now doing shows
>than when they toured the arenas in the 70's & 80's.  Can you blame
>somebody if they make more money for doing less?  I doubt that they wave
>their standard fee or sign contracts that scale pays to attendance.  Its
>$5k for ten pople or 200.  Guaruntee Kiss didn't earn $43.5 million
>dollars for their arena tour in 1975 when I first saw them.  They did
>this summer.
>
>Now as a fan I'm a little on the opposite side of the spectrum.  I want
>BOC to continue to do the club thing.  I can get real close to the
>stage, I can hang out with them after the show.  Hell I can pass stuff
>on stage to the guys.  Couldn't do that in the arena days and won't go
>see them at some huge arena if they get big now.  No offense but I'm too
>old and frail to fight the mosh pit wars.  So thats my selfish desire,
>may not be in line with what the band wants or other fans but it is what
>I want.
>
>lil ab

I have to agree....I've seen the band in some large venues, and quite frankly
it sucked (not the music) because of all the drunken idiots whose idea
of fun is to go to the show drunk (no matter who it is) and get stupid....I
know
this happens at the clubs, but its on a smaller scale and you're more
likely able to
do something about it.  also,  you're right about being able to get on a more
personal level with them....I never saw hide nor hair of the band at those big
gigs, but after all the club shows I've been able to talk to Buck and Eric and
the guys and been able to find out what down to earth NICE people they are.
and as for the "stale" set list, while I would like to hear more new
material or
some different stuff from their catalog, I enjoy the music and talent the guys
exhibit at every show I've been to, and I've gotten to hear some nice
surprises.....and if they DO play 75% of the same stuff all the time, well, so
do the Stones and the  Who and all the other "nostalgia" bands.  I mean,
how different do you think John Kay's set is with "Steppenwolf"? (and all these
other touring ripoffs?) I know in the last 10 years I've heard those "stale"
songs evolve quite a bit.  it might be one thing if they were canned,
note-for-note
renditions every night, but they're not.

but enough ranting

Ted

And then we wonder how machines                                  That's
Army stuff!
Can steal each others' dreams
It's got nothing to do with us...