BOC Live at T-Rex club

Ted Jackson jr. EL84 tojackso at LIBRARY.SYR.EDU
Tue Jul 15 09:29:35 EDT 1997

>> From:          John A Swartz <jswartz at MBUNIX.MITRE.ORG>

> >I simply must vehemently disagree here!!  Danny Miranda is NOT simply a
> "hired hand!"  He's become an integral part of the band, and a
> motivating force up on stage.  A the Bakersfield and Mission Beach
> (especially Mission Beach) shows, he was an inspiration with his bass,
> roaming around the stage, getting the fans wild.  His solo during
> Godzilla was amazing, people were going crazy and screaming for Danny
> just as much as the do for Buck.  Through everything, you can always
> tell that Danny is just flat out having a GREAT time--it's infectious,
> and the crowd can definitely feel it.  I, for one, wish his solo in
> Godzilla could be even longer, and that he could have more solos!  My
> opinion, anyway. <shrug>
>
> I agree - of course, I'm biased toward good bass players (something I can
> only dream to become).  Danny has definitely cemented his place in the
> current BOC, at least as far as live shows goes (and until "the Wheel"
> comes out, that really is all there is to BOC, other than the memories).
> Danny is young (well, compared to the rest of the band - he is, though,
> my age - an "old fart" at 33), talented, and full of energy onstage.
> BOC needs this kind of energy onstage - Al, Joe, and Eric used to
> provide it (Buck and Allen were never really "animated"), and now that
> energy is really projected by Danny and Buck (Buck moves around and
> shows more emotion and love of playing than he ever did in BOC's heyday).
> I understand that Danny also writes music, however with the new album
> basically having been written prior to Danny's arrival, it remains to be
> seen whether or not we'll ever see any Danny Miranda compositions done by
> BOC.
>
> John

Hey, dudes, read my whole post.  I said Danny was a monster bass
player, but I don't see him as an equal partner in the band.  Live,
they really come across as 3OC and the 2 other guys.  That's not
Danny's fault.  It remains to be seen [if EW ever sees the light of
day] how much creative input he will have.  And really, since this
material predated Danny, I guess we'll have to wait another 10 yrs or
so to witness Danny's composing ability...
theo