Sad Calvert story

Mark Edmonds mmje at MMJE.DEMON.CO.UK
Tue Jun 10 05:11:39 EDT 1997

I've just been reminded of this sad event:

Back in about 1983, HW were playing at the Battle of the Bands contest
in Ramsgate, Kent, UK. They weren`t actually part of the contest but
were the headlining act once the competition was over. We arrived quite
early to listen to a band whose lead guitarist was living in the same
digs as myself and found that HW were on stage doing a soundcheck. They
were playing Waiting for Tomorrow and boy did it sound great! The CYM
mix didn't come anywhere close to this hard edge rock sound. After the
sound check Dave decided to mingle around the crowd and I think Huw put
in an appearance. I really wanted to say something to Dave but I
couldn't. I mean what would I do - go up to the guy and say "hey man,
you're fucking great, i listen to your music all the time, by the way,
what is the fingering for that chord in motorway city?".

Come the gig and things started to go fur balls. First off my camera
packed up. Secondly a mate of mine had bought a chillum along and was
getting so out of it he was really drawing attention to himself - HLL
was looking at him most oddly. Then finally Bob Calvert appeared on
stage. Excellent! However, when he was introduced "This is Robert
Calvert" there was no response from the audience. I mean no one cheered
or lifted a finger. I think it was Nik who introduced him so he tried
again because he was obviously dumb struck by the lack of response. Same
effect. I suddenly realised to myself "god, these people dont know who
Calvert is". The gig continued and before long they did 10 Seconds of
Forever with Bob on vocals of course. Whilst reciting the lines Bob
obviously got pissed with the situation and started laughing at the
words almost as if he was saying "fuck it, this is really stupid". It
seemed strange to see this - Bob Calvert of all people not being
recognised and then throwing in the towel on his own lyrics. It was
quite a good gig despite this and the 25 mile cycle ride back to
Canterbury.