HW: Blackheath

Fri Jun 13 10:32:11 EDT 1997

On tor 12 jun 1997 15.05 "M Holmes" <fofp at TATTOO.ED.AC.UK> wrote:
> It's a classic example of a bad implementation of computerised
> equipment. The idea should be that the machines allow more freedom
> rather than more constraint.

    Yeah, I'd hate to have the situation laid on me.  I mean, as a musician
I have the most fun when everyone has to bring it together on their own.
Having a rigid background like that would be a real downer.  It wouldn't be
a problem if there was a real synth player, but Dave is trying to do too
much.

     I mean, "Space is their Palestine" is basically a tape (or sequencers
or whatever) with Richard drumming along.  Dave is just flipping switches
by the look of it.  I can get that from an album.  Apparently so can Brock
;)

     Now if there were real people doing it ... I mean why not have Jerry
and Ron keep jamming on a track like that?  Wouldn't that be more
interesting?  Machines can create really cool noises, but I find they are
pretty dull on their own.  Nothing beats real-time human control.

     Synths can only obey the Three Laws on their own ;)

    The Ozrics have it right by having a proper synth player as well as a
guitarist.  Even when Ed turns to his synths you don't feel cheated the way
you do on some of the more obviously "dead live" Hawkwind numbers.

Cheers,
Carl