OFF: THEM

Guido Vacano gvacano at BEAVER.MBB.WESLEYAN.EDU
Mon Mar 3 20:30:37 EST 1997

Paul says--

> This cracks me up.  You speak of "They" (often called THEY and THEM) as if
> they are some foreign race of space aliens, and not living, breathing
> human beings like the rest of us.  There are people on this list who work
> for huge multinationals and governments.  Are they "They?"  Are these
> people fearing the Internet, BOC-L, et al?  Should I loathe and demonise
> them as you have done above?

The fun thing about THEM paranoia is you never know who is one of THEM.
Now what THEY have to do with THEM is anyone's guess, since THEY are an
entirely separate organization (with the Illuminati pulling the strings
of both, of course) 8-0 ;-) :-) :-D (where's Dr. Bob when you need him?)

> I agree with Robert Anton Wilson when he says that anyone admitting the
> existance of THEM has relinquished responsibility for their own life; one
> can blame ones successes and failures on THEM, much in the same way
> someone of a religious bent can attribute their daily travails to the
> guiding hand of some unseen, omnipotent god.

I also like Umberto Eco's treatment of the subject.

> But then again, I must be one of THEM to utter such heresy.

No, you're one of US (a REALLY different group), and we are all Steve Swann
(remember?).

Guido

obKICKassCD--B'boom by King Crimson

--
If nothing is done, then all will be well.  -- Lao Tse