HW: Tim Blake live in London

Craig Shipley craigs at PYRAMID.COM
Fri Mar 14 12:00:37 EST 1997

> >Just what makes him so noteworthy?  I don't recall being terribly
> >impressed with any HW keyboardist, in general, truthfully.  What makes
> >him stick out so much?
>
> One word:  GONG.  Blake was the keyboardist on _Angel's Egg_ and _You_,
> as well as the live album(s) around that period.

Not to picking the nit, but I think a more accurate term would be Gongs'
synthesist. I seem to remember that he didn't play a keyboard as much as
he manipulated the old VCS3 (which didn't need a keyboard for an input
device i.e. the famous Wood Axe controller). Most definitly, he used a
keyboard later on, but there was a stage where he didn't.

I might be thinking of Hillage's FISH RISIN, as Blake was on that one, too.

And as far as my vote for the best HW ivory-tickler, my vote goes to Simon
House. Note that the releases that he played on seem to rate right up there
in the top of the HW polls...just listen to the 'Tron intro on WotEoT (with
Herr Lemmy on bass). Bainbridge and Brock are both fine, but House still has
'em beat!

objCDPlayer: Ron Boots: Dreamscape

      -m------- Craig Shipley   aka: craigs at pyramid.com
    ---mmm----- Siemens-Pyramid Information Systems