Retitle - Bootlegs and Tour News

Jon Browne jon at COMICS.DEMON.CO.UK
Wed Mar 19 07:23:29 EST 1997

In message <3.0.1.32.19970318173600.0068ba00 at mail.io.com>, Star Rats
<Star_Rats at HAWKWIND.COM> writes
>Oh bugger this, this will be my final post.

Why? What's the matter?
> I was just making a point that
>I have found it to be true in many cases during my experience with the
>music industry and bands in general. I bow to the fact that there will be
>some bands that do whatever they want when it comes to new material, boots
>or no boots.

Counterfeiting studio releases is fully theft of the worst kind.

However, you will have a job convincing me that taping shows hurts bands
in any way whatsoever. It's not something I've done and I don't have
more than a handful of *any* band. I've a couple of Julian Cope. Someone
who I've bought all 20+ legit releases. I do have a couple of HW, again
after buying nearly 70+ legit CD's and vinyl's. One example, Space
Ritual, I've paid for 5 times in my life.
People only buy or trade these things if they've already got all
official releases.

Can you really see some Pink Floyd fan not buying the new studio set
because he's got something off a Walkman or even a nice clear off the
desk copy? It's not going to happen. What will happen is, he plays the
thing to his mates, they all get excited about the release and the band
sell more than they would. It primes the pump, as it were. And if that's
what the point boils down to, maximising revenue for the band, then I
wouldn't have the slightest concern. All it does is advertise the pukka
releases.
My brother was bootleged when he did the Reading Festival a couple of
years back. He was just pleased that they put *him* on the cover! (He
was a drummer at the time.)

>I just think it's a shame that some bands are put off from performing
new
>material due to the impossibility of it being unheard at the time of
>release. . .that's all.

That's life, eh? You can't play your music in public without someone
hearing it!

>Star Rats

Jonny "Bingo" Karma