HW: honestly!

Alan Troup ALAN_TROUP at NOVELL.COM
Wed May 14 16:33:19 EDT 1997

This is a reply to several mails at once, so forgive me if some of it
is not in order!

Space Ritual:

>Well, taking my old UA vinyl outta storage, it reads,
>(front cover) SPACE RITUAL      HAWKWIND
>(spine) SPACE RITUAL, ALIVE IN LIVERPOOL AND LONDON (which is also
>what the LP's label reads, 'cept it says "THE SPACE RITUAL, etc, etc.)
>So, none of 'em are correct, perhaps????

That sounds right.  I can't wait to get home and check!  I have both the
vinyl and the CD.

And now I'm going to show my ignorance once again.  On the album, the
music ends and the applause fades down at the end of each record side,
and fades up again at the start of each record side.  This is normal for
those days, but it always annoyed me (especially on "Orgone Accumulator."
(By the way, can anyone tell me what Hawkwind's connection to orgone
accumulators was?  This isn't a quiz - I really don't know!))    When I
bought the CD, there were 2 CDs, and I fully expected solid noise - not
fade-downs and fade ups.  Boy, was I disappointed!  It seems to me that
the original recording would not have that.   Is a "remastered" Space Ritual
CD one that does not have these fades?  Or is it just a better recording?

Space Ritual II:

>To be an anorak about it, it is SPACE RITUAL VOL. II, according to my LP...

Thanks!

>There *is* a _Space Ritual, Vol. 2_, but it isn't a "legitimate release,"
>which is why Jill left it off her list.  (That doesn't stop it having *the
>best* version of "Time We Left This World Today" on it, though.:)

Well, that sucks!  Here my original post was about buying only legitimate
albums, and now here's one I want, that's not legit!   Hmmmm....

Hawkwind Apology

Thanks for this info!

PXR5:

>The plug was never wired correctly.   After the original issue of the album

>they had to rush out a whole set of stickers to put over the plug picture
>which read "DO NOT REMOVE THIS STICKER"

That's the one I have - I peeled it back just enough to look at the wiring,
but nothing jumped out at me as being wrong, so I put the sticker back.
I don't think my cover is ripped - I'll check...

>If it looked okay to you, then remind me never to ask you to do any
>electrical wiring for me. ;-)

Cute....

>Of course, if you're not familiar with how British plugs are wired, you'd
>probably not see the harm in it.

Ah - not familiar in the least!  Thanks for that info!  I don't feel like
such
a loser now!

 In Search Of Space:

>There's a big X on the cover and I guess they were still remembering
>their time as Group X so it probably could be entitled X in Search of
>Space.   However all the listings over the years have ignored the X
>bit and the title is usually left without it.

The reason I asked was that Brian Tawn's text in the "Psychedelic Warlords"
CD
booklet consistently lists it as "X" - and I guessed him to be some sort of
Hawkwind
authority...

ASAM:

>There are official CDs of this around.   I seem them occasionally.

Must be a hot seller!

Thanks to all for your replies!

Alan