HW: Stonehenge 1984

Jon Browne jon at COMICS.DEMON.CO.UK
Mon Nov 10 09:16:55 EST 1997

In article <34670C8E.C6A43DB7 at tangram.spb.ru>, Yuri Elik
<uriah at TANGRAM.SPB.RU> writes
>I wasn't anywhere near Stonehenge that time, but I think I can say for
>sure that Hawkwind DIDN'T finished at all at 10 p.m. There is a video
>"The Solstice at Stonehenge - UK - 1984" released by Visionary, and
>there are two tracks recorded in the morning. I do not remember them
>very well 'cause I don't have a video at home so a lot of time went
>since I saw it last time, but - as I remeber - it was a sort of jam
>where it was difficult to distinguish any familiar song.

Well, wierdly enough, 5 minutes ago, I was just talking about this to
the missus, saying I'd always thought they'd played on and off all
night, when this hippie called Driftwood walked in the shop. Overhearing
our conversation about Henge '84, he chimes in "I was at that. Do you
remember the mist that morning? It was about 4 feet thick on the ground
and then stopped. Hawkwind were doing some two hour jam at around six in
the morning. Just went on and on, no real song. After that Nik went on
Greenham. God know what he was on at that, he was playing for about 3
days there! "

I don't think your records need updating, Bern, but I think this show
went into "extra time" at some point. Whether it counts as a full show,
I don't know. It seems pretty likely now that they left the stage at 10
- ish but they did come back on at times throughout the night and i
don't seem to be entirely alone (but pretty isolated!) in thinking that
something was going on next morning. I really thought they finished up
about 10 a.m. It's around that time the stage finally went quiet,
anyway. Or maybe that's when I finally crashed out ;-)

--
Jon Browne