HW : live albums and overproduction

Scott Bullerwell tanelorn at DIMENSIONAL.COM
Fri Nov 14 16:17:07 EST 1997

----------
Kenneth Magnusson wrote:

> But that brings us close to a live situation, doesn't it ? I think that
an
> uninspired and overwork production is worse than an inspired
> under-production. A fast and primitive production isn't synonymous with
> bad. Bootlegs, for example, are generally better than official live
> releases due to the atmosphere You get with the bootlegs, why aren't
there
> live-albums like All the world's a stage and Space Ritual anymore, well,
> the sound is too good.

YES!  Why aren't there, dammit?  ("All The World's A Stage" being my very
favorite live recording.) I'm tired of hearing live albums that sound like
studio tracks with an overdubbed audience.  The only live album I've heard
made in the last couple years that made my hair stand on end was King
Crimson's "B'boom"--a self-described "official bootleg."

Somewhere, there's a trade school where engineers and producers are taught
to make everything into the Lost Mr. Mister Album (in the trade, this
technique is called "turd polishing.")  Someone needs to close that school
down.

Scott