HW : live albums and overproduction

Mark Edmonds mmje at MMJE.DEMON.CO.UK
Sat Nov 15 05:45:32 EST 1997

In article <199711142118.OAA02782 at flatland.dimensional.com>, Scott
Bullerwell <tanelorn at DIMENSIONAL.COM> writes
>YES!  Why aren't there, dammit?  ("All The World's A Stage" being my very
>favorite live recording.) I'm tired of hearing live albums that sound like
>studio tracks with an overdubbed audience.

<snip>

This is so weird! I switch on the hi-fi and load up the Business Trip
which immediately reminds me about the "audience noise" complaint I've
always had of this album and then Scott posts the above!

Does anyone else find the cheering on this album off putting? To me it
sounds too fake and there is the whole audience cheering when they
recognise a song within about 2 seconds of it starting - normally an
impossible feat, especially given that so many HW riffs are similar.

It has to be fake audience noise to my ears and it spoils what is
otherwise quite a good album.

Comments?

Mark