Distant Horizons

J Strobridge eset08 at HOLYROOD.ED.AC.UK
Fri Nov 21 13:08:16 EST 1997

Daniel Wikdahl writes:

> I've seen it now... ehrm... it's better than the "this-URL-does-not-work-shit"
> I saw first... ehrm... and it looks far better than I could imagine
> after I'd followed the Brits postings... IMHO it's rather sober...

well - since it appears to be based on an Egyptian heiroglyphic
theme and given the recent tourist massacre out there perhaps a sober
image is more appropriate to the prevailing mood......

Re. Distant Horizons:  I'm having real problems liking this album -
maybe because I enjoyed hearing all the live tracks live on tour more
than studio renditions on this album - maybe because it seems so
unfinished.

Love in Space is an instrumental noodle.   Kauai (however you spell
it) is surely just another version of the "Wastelands" track which
sounds utterly beautiful when played live but has not yet made it
onto a CD where it sounds anything like as good as the stage version;
Taxi for Max sounded as if it was going to be a kind of Pink Floyd
track (was it "Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast"?) but never developedand
one of the tracks (can't remember which now but I'll check later) just
seems to stop in mid-flow.  The whole album to me sounds like an outtake
recording of Hawkwind practising tracks in the studio before taking them
on tour.

The whole thing feels like a collection of good quality studio
recordings gathered together and rushed out onto a CD, perhaps in
response to our frequent impassioned appeals for "an album to go
with the tour".   Maybe I'm wrong.   Maybe I should listen to it a
few more times as the tour memories fade and I'll warm to it.  But
it's not up there with the best of them yet!

jill

J.D.Strobridge at ed.ac.uk                         eset08 at holyrood.ed.ac.uk
                                                ELIJSA at srv0.arts.ed.ac.uk