Off: Music help

Cliff and Pam Wheaton cwheaton at TRANSWESTTAXI.COM
Sat Nov 22 05:22:28 EST 1997

Chris Warburton wrote:

> At 02:11 21/11/97 -0700, you wrote:
> >Hi all!
> >out of lurk mode again! I was making my usual foray into the music
> >stores today, got Wolfstone's " Half Tail" (Excellent) and Jon-Luc
> >Pony's "Cosmic Messenger".
>
> "Jon Luc Pony"?????    :^P I presume...

I misspelled-and didn't look up!!  Jon-Luc Ponty I meant:)

> .
>
> >My question is-Saw a couple of "Can" Cd's-any recomendations here?
>
> The earlier albums are the best.  A good introduction is "Cannibalism".  I
> think there may have been others since, but the first Cannibalism was a
> sampler drawn from their UA period (yup, same label as the Hawks).
>
> Otherwise, the essential albums are (in approximate chronological order):
> Monster Movie, Tago Mago, Soundtracks, Ege Bamyasi, Soon Over Babaluma &
> Future Days.  It's difficult to truly describe Can - two members from the
> Darmstadt classical avant-garde (students of Stockhausen no less), a jazz
> drummer,  a guitarist from an equally unlikely source.  The first singer
> was a deranged (draft-avoiding) American, the second an equally deranged
> Japanese.  The albums were recorded in their own studio (Inner Space) which
> was first located in the Schloss Norvenich, and subsequently in a disused
> cinema.  They are most renowned for long, hypnotic group improvisations
> driven along by Jaki Liebezeit's extraordinary pulsebeat drumming.  By SOB
> & FD, the music was less confrontational, but more hypnotic.
>

> "Saw Delight", "Can" & "Out Of
> Reach" are rather dull on the whole -

these are the ones they had-guess I'll spend my $$ on the HW I saw instead-but
they don't have the new ones:(>They also had "Cast"-what are they like?

> "BritPop"  I quite like them, but they are nothing very special - identikit
> boys withguitars paying snappy little 3 minute songs...

ugh. I really have trouble listening to that sort-I prefer the long dreamy and
or concept stuff. Not trying to sound pretentious here btw :-)Pam

--
      Pam Wheaton           Cliff Wheaton
  ____/----^----\____     The greatest tool
</__"Rockin Cabbie"__\o    for world peace
    O             O        "THE INTERNET"
E-mail: cwheaton at TransWestTaxi.com
http://www.TransWestTaxi.com