BOC: Ezekiel's Wheel of "Best of" releases

Wed Oct 22 17:02:21 EDT 1997

> From:          John A Swartz <jswartz at MBUNIX.MITRE.ORG>

> >1. Ca tour 1985; they should have worked it out with Albert to continue.
> We already know this story.
>
> Yep - would've been great if a double-length album of *Imaginos* came out
> instead of *Club Ninja*.  Then again, I've speculated that this form of
> *Imaginos* should've come out instead of *Mirrors* (not that the songs as
> they were done in the 80s would've likely have sounded the same in 1979).

I'd have been willing to take a chance on that one.  In '79 BOC were
still hot as napalm, given a small hiccup with SEE [still not the
total gulp of Mirrors].  Last studio lp was rock-solid Spectres,
laser show still happening [I think?].  Seems like perfect timing for
the 'real' imaginos.  A full-concept BOC double album!  Damn, what a
disappointment that we never got to see that, 'cause if ever there
was a band up to such a project, it was BOC in their prime...

> >2. 1992-93 for Atlantic renegging the record deal.
>
> I wish I knew the full details of this one -- too much heresay as to what
> really happened -- but "Ezekiel's Wheel" instead of "Cult Classics" would've
> been nice...

Yeah, this is a legend that drives me nuts.  Wish I knew the real
story--not that it would be flattering to 3OC.  I always thought that
3OC somehow screwed up on this one.  Or maybe another Schenck
screw-up.  That dude shot himself [and BOC] in the foot with a
howitzer...

> >4. For not being able to keep Chuck Burgi in the band, but that was more
> of a Steve Schenk mess up.
>
> Chuck is a fine drummer, but I was never convinced that he was the "right"
> drummer for BOC -- although I think he had a bit more distinctive style
> that Wilcox, Riddle, Rondinelli, Micelli (who all are also fine drummers) -
> a bit too much "in yer face" for BOC I think.  Personally, I thought Rick
> Downey, while no Albert (and who is?), did a decent job for them.

So far, I liked Micelli better than Rondinelli [who's a fine drummer
indeed, not knocking him in any way] as far as fitting in with BOC.
Micelli sometimes sounded eerily like Albert.  Never heard the other
pounders...

> Other "mistakes"?  Hmm...
>
> Abandoning the "5 Guitars" - oh yeah, guess they needed At for that

So how 'bout 4 guitars?

> Promotion, or lack thereof, for much of their career

Schenck must go!

> No Box Set
>
> The extended delays of Ezekiel's Wheel
>
> Inflexibility in their live sets

Amen, Amen, Amen!

> Buck's gold suit

You talkin' 'bout his Buck Rogers outfit?  I liked it.  I'd more
regret EB's abandoning his leather outfits and long hair.  Also liked
BD's Giuliano guitars for their styling, though can't argue with the
sound he gets from the Steinbergers.  Think BD should have stuck with
his Boogie amps too...

So who's going to the Elmira tBS gig, and what's the venue?

theo