HW/NIK: Turner & Sting

C Mumford cannibal at CUTEY.COM
Thu Oct 23 13:48:05 EDT 1997

At 00:05 23/10/97 +0100, Andy Gilham wrote:

>Course they do!  I've got one here signed by Turner (there was a time when
>UN-signed copies of Nik/ICU records were rarer than signed ones):

Ha! My CD copy of Passout has the cover reproduced from a signed cover!!
In black and white too. How cool can cheap get?

> "Get
>radioactive!  Nik Turner"...  make of that what you will!  It came out in
>1979, in fact.  "Nuclear Waste" c/w "Digital Love", by The Radio Actors.
> Both sides written by Harry Williamson.  Became a staple of ICU's stage set
>for a while, until they got bored with it and tried to play it all the way
>through in about thirty seconds.

>It says here:
>
>Sting - Lead Vocals
>Steve Broughton - Drums
>Steve - Lead Guitar
>Nick Turner - Sax & Vocal
>Mike Howlett - Drums
>Harry Williamson - Rythm Guitar & Vocals
>Gilli Smyth - Vocals
>Produced by Simon Heyworth
>Concept: Nick Turner and Harry Williamson
>
>All spelling errors reproduced faithfully!  The second Steve is Hillage.

What an odd line up. Hawkwind/Broughton/Gong etc. &... Police!! jeez, I can
start connecting the dots from Hawkwind to the Animals, Zoot Money and
Curved Air now...?

>This is an early sighting of Sting's ecological concerns - one in the eye for
>all those cynics who accuse him of sublimating his worries about his receding
>hairline onto the rainforests (as if I would! :)

I'll try to think of him next time I go to McDonald's :)

Thanks for all the info!

Christian

ObHypotheticalTimewarp: late 80's: young "concerned" executive, sipping his
Evian water and almost letting his little pony tail loose to that mock-
psychedelic Tears for Fears video.. there's one of several bands he wants to
market, to appeal to the growing dolphin loving tye dyer market: he randomly
picks "Hawkwind" on his little list... NO!!!

phew! Nightmare over! Tho, a Dave Brock
designed tie would be pretty cool!??

back to reality...
Christian