Strange Daze: day 2

Ron Jennings sprawl at STARLINX.COM
Sun Sep 7 01:44:49 EDT 1997

cjohnson wrote:

> Born To Go came out.  Their lead singer was an english fellow, who
> rapped with the audience a bit before and between songs.  These guys
> don't have as much SPACE in their SPACE ROCK as some of the other
> bands at this festival, but their attitude is definitely in the
> right place.  IMHO the music needs more of a synth sound, or more
> tonality in the lead guitar perhaps, but the lyrics are dead-on
> SciFi/technology stuff.  Their influences are good ones.  Born
> To Go also deserves credit for having been a vocal proponent on
> the net for the Strange Daze fest.
>
> (I forgot to get my free drink from the lead singer following their
> set.  They did a song called "Kill -9", and the singer offered a
> "..free drink at the bar for anyone who knows what this means!".
> I knew those years of college would amount to something!)

Just my two cents about this band and their performance...
i disagree with mr. clouds assessment of BTG's space content.
i think it is very spacy, but equally rocky. the tunes are just a
bit more structured than many of the other bands'.
also, all the synth was on one channel due to some technical mishap,
so depending on which side you were on, you may have missed it entirely.
i was in the back, at the top of the hill, and it sounded great!

i just heard a tape of the set, also recorded center/back, and it was
excellent.
i think chuck's position must have been to the non-synth side. also, i
think a little
familiarity with the material might have made it more enjoyable.

i have heard that this band may be expanding their territory in the
near-future,
and am looking forward to it.

p.s. chuck (and anyone else who noticed), apologies for my apparent
anti-social attitude.
i was a bit befuddled by lack of rest and over-indulgence.   <shrugs
sheepishly>
rj