Hawkwind Tour in Trouble

Si sihalley at VOSSNET.CO.UK
Fri Sep 12 14:17:22 EDT 1997

On 12-Sep-97, Star Rats wrote:
>                  I have been recently getting email about various UK
>gigs reporting to
>have been cancelled. After speaking with DS yesterday to find out the
>latest news, he told me that tickets for the tour are selling so badly that
>promoters are refusing to sign contracts which guarentees the band's wages
>for the night.

>So far there has been 800 tickets sold for the entire tour!!!

Jeez, that's bad.

>I'm sending out this messages asking everyone to spread the word about the
>tour, and to urge anyone thinking of attending a gig not to wait until the
>night to get their tickets; if more venues do not get enough advanced
>ticket sales, they will cancell.

I always thought it was well known that HW have a large walk up crowd. I
suppose in today's musical climate, promotors would be getting cold feet.
Also, the dates were announced a long way in advance. Perhaps people decided
to wait till closer to the shows but have now forgotten about it due to lack
of advertising.
.
>Being in the US, I don't know how well the tour is being advertised - can
>anyone enlighten me?

Now we get to it. I check most music mags regularly and I can't recall seeing
ANY advertising at all. The only thing I've seen is in a local alternative
leaflet which list the gigs in their gig listing and last month had a quarter
page add for the ep which included the dates. unfortunatly as it's a
photocopied thing, the add hardly stands out and if I remember, it isn't that
easy to read.

>Personally, I don't understand what's going on, and neither can the band.
>It must be a real downer for them to hear this news. It wasn't so long ago
>when you had to get up to Hammersmith double quick in order to get tickets
>to see them.

I certainly remember that.

>The latest tour dates are listed on the 1997 Tour Dates page:

I haven't got tickets yet. The reason is simple. I intend to go with several
friends, all of which are big Cardiacs fans but near HW-virgins. Now, as
Cardiacs are supposed to be playing some dates on this tour, we want to go to
the shows that both bands are playing and so far I have seen no information on
which shows these will be (except MK which wouldn't be my first choice and
anyway, you say it's now cancelled).

Does anybosy have any info on which shows Cardiacs are playing on this tour?

I think the simple answer is - Advertise the tour and people will buy tickets,
don't advertise it and they won't know about it. You have to put a bit of
money in to get more out.

Si

--
'I live in a big dark house, and nobody's here but me and my mouse'

http://village.vossnet.co.uk/s/sihalley/