OFF: Needle Moose

Wed Sep 17 11:49:43 EDT 1997

> Ted Jackson jr. 6L6 wrote:
> > I believe Tarantino lived in Amsterdam for a while polishing the
> > script for Pulp Fiction.  I take it his movies are huge in Holland?
>
> Hehe, Pulp Fiction. Yes, it's true about the mayonaise... :-)

The best frittes i ever had were from that place on Damrak, on the
right hand side of the street as you're heading away from the train
station.  But i think the guy that runs it is Belgian.  The funniest
thing is the 'sauce Americain,' which like 'steak Americain' is
something completely unknown in the US.  Actually, Steak Tartare is
served in upscale US restaurants, but I doubt if more that 2 perccent
of all Americans even know what it is, let alone have tried it!  I did
try an order of frittes with American sauce, and I thought it was
pretty good.   Genreally I don't put anything on them if they're
good.  Even though frittes are big here, nobody knows how to make
them right.  Remember I'm married to a Belgian, hence my obsesseion
with frittes!

> Well, the usual hype, I would say. I thought it was nice to see a film made that way,

You mean that it's non-linear, like a novel?  That was his idea all
along.  Reservoir Dogs is done the same way.  I find it totally
fascinating...

> but to me and according to the title also to Tarantino, the film is as much wo
rth as
> other pulp. It "inspired" some others to make films like that, and those are even worse.
> "Doom Generation" is probably the worst film ever. IMHO, that is.
>
> Jerry
Interesting.  I was totally blown away by Pulp Fiction, as were the
judges at Cannes.   I'm surprised you didn't like it more.  I suspect
that the repeated references to American pop culture may have escaped
a lot of non-Americans who saw it.  Maybe it's the sort of flick
where you just have to be an American to appreciate it?  Funny, as
Tarantino's biggest influence is Renoir [the filmmaker not the
painter] and he loves japanese cinema too...
theo