LP to CD transfer

Niko Makila niko.makila at RESEARCH.NOKIA.COM
Wed Sep 24 02:19:34 EDT 1997

Paul's message dated: Tue, 23 Sep 1997 10:56:48 EDT

> If your ostensible aim is to digitally archive your LPs, have you
> considered just getting a pro-DAT drive?  I'm sure it will beat the
> CD-write unit hands down in terms of price/performance (and the media is
> reusable!)  Naturally, you can't make CD-R bootlegs with a DAT unit, but
> you did stress these were for your own personal use, didn't you? :-)

How durable are these CD-R's anyway?  I think that I've read somewhere
that in less than 10 years they'll be unreadable (unlistenable too).
Maybe it was even in the figures of five years.  Anyone know more about
this?  Anyway I'd think that good old tape (DAT) should last longer.

        //niko

ObGuitarSolo: Keep It Greasy, FZ.