OFF: Masters of Reality

brian halligan brianh at PULLEYN.COM
Tue Apr 21 14:19:58 EDT 1998

>> From:          Andy Gilham <Andy.Gilham at BTINTERNET.COM>
>>
>> Well, I actually only have one album of theirs, their eponymous (obtBS :)
>> debut from 1988, which I think I bought on the strength of being produced
by
>> Rick Rubin...  but it's really excellent (even if it now sounds a teensy
bit
>> old-fashioned).  Obviously a bit Sabbath-y, and heavy as fuck!
>>
>I believe the debut is called The Blue Garden, though that may have
>been changed when the album was re-released on a subsequent label
>[Def American?]  These guys are from my home town, and I saw them a
>hundred times when they were a bar band.  My wife went to high school
>with Chris.  Sadly, they splintered right after the first album, and
>their best musician, the guitarist Tim Herrington departed.  I don't
>see much similarity to Sab, other than the name.  Great lyrics, and
>spooky as hell.  By far the better of the two albums...

Theo, wasn't Syracuse r&b legend
"Little Georgie" a keyboardist for
MoR at some point?  I never knew they
were from Syracuse until long after I first
heard them.

(special thanks to the infamous Steve
Swann who put the songs "Domino" and
"The Blue Garden" on a mix tape for me
during the great *April Fool's Day Tape
Exchange* back in '93.  My apologies to
Scott Heller for the terrible songs I put
on his mix tape.  Hey, I was young.)

We had The Blue Garden on LP at my
college radio station and I used to play
"Domino" fairly often on my radio show.
A hard-rockin' song with a fun, sing-along
chorus.  The only thing I remember about
their 2nd album was an odd song about
the proper way to make a cup of tea.

Anyway, the gig should be a lot of fun.
Whoever goes, be sure to report back
the details!

Brian
obCD> Little Georgie and the Shuffling Hungarians
"Live From Styleen's Rhythm Palace"