OFF: UK Charts

Ted Jackson jr. s2h2 tojackso at LIBRARY.SYR.EDU
Wed Aug 5 08:02:44 EDT 1998

> From:          The Automind <antisol at HOTMAIL.COM>

> >     Uma Thurman (as Emma Peel), Ralph Fiennes (as John Steed)
> >and Sean Connery (as a bizarre Scottish villian who controls the
> >weather).  Good line-up, anyway.  My impression is that it's been
> >done with style and flair, but the proof of the pudding remains
> >to be tested ...
>
> It's difficult to explain, but I'd almost feel like I was being
> personally insulted if I paid to see that one. From the advertisements
> it looks like its going to be a poorly constructed throwback to all the
> 60's detective-spy-caper films (how can you recapture that charming
> innocence?). There is no doubt that shortly after its release there
> while be a massive trend where the usual idiots will try to adopt that
> whole attitude and chique urbane, upperclass fashion look. American

Yep, you got it...

> pop-culture is so desperate for anything new right now, there's no way
> this won't happen- unless the film bombs, and I don't think it will (the
> ads looked very appealing).

Oh, I think it'll be a collossal flop.  Fiennes isn't big here except
for arty type stuff like Quiz Show and English Patient.  I don't
think he can pull off an action-type flick.  Not to say I don't like
him.  I thought he was fantastic in Strange Days, a great flick
overall...

I envy their ability to humiliate themselves
> in front of others without embarrasment.

Great observation, man!  You ought to copyright that one!

theo

"...Power in the hands of fools..."