Space Folk (was: OFF: UK Charts)

Fri Aug 7 04:24:12 EDT 1998

Don't know about space-folk, but the _other_ folk album I have is by the
aforementioned Shooglenifty, a Scottish six-piece who describe their style
as "acid croft".  I saw them in Budapest, with an audience of
uncomprehending Magyars and four Brits - and by the end everyone was dancing
(well thrashing about spasmically in my case) - they were great!  Then they
played the Swan at Stockwell and I missed them - c'est la vie.

On the back of their live album, which is on Peter Gabriel's "Real World"
label, it says "Shooglenifty re-invent tradition with a party-full of roots
tunes for the dance floor", which is about right.  One of their numbers is
called "Venus in Tweeds".

- Andy

ObCD: Shooglenifty - _Live at Selwyn Hall, Box_