HW:/OFF: Man 1999 Party

Keith Henderson henderson.120 at OSU.EDU
Thu Dec 3 21:56:28 EST 1998

Hi Folks...

I just picked up a live Man CD from the 1999 Party Tour with HW.  My feeling
is that this is recorded at the same gig as last year's HW 1999 Party
release...i.e., the Chicago Auditorium on March 21, 1974.  And that seems to
be confirmed by the liner notes in the booklet.  But then it says 'Live in
Chicago, April 1974' on the cover.  And on the back cover of the booklet,
there's a picture of a backstage pass that says, 'Hawkwind & Man' April 8,
1974 Orpheum.

So what's the deal on that??  I can't see them doing two shows in the same
city just three weeks apart.  Perhaps this was the originally scheduled date
(?) and so they had things like backstage passes made up with this other
date.  But of course, that would have meant that they actually did the tour
*earlier* than was originally intended, and that just can't be!  :)  The
other alternative (perhaps more likely) is that the Orpheum is a theatre in
a different city and these people who did the cover were just confused.

Anyway, it's pretty damn good...the sound may even be better than the HW
set.  Very clean.  There's five tracks (7171-551, Romain, It's a hard way to
live, C'mon, and Spunk Rock) totalling 60 minutes, the highlight (for me)
being the 24 minute psychedelic jam that is 'C'mon'.  It's on Point records
(1997) somewhere in Europe.  Never heard of them before.

That's all...Keith H. (FAA)

P.S.  I think it's obligatory to listen to the respective Man and HW 1999
Party CDs back to back (in that order), with perhaps an hour break in
between, during which you sit in a smoke-filled room with an empty gaze and
spill beer on the floor.

ObCD:  Berg Herzburg comp. (1998) - more excellent Man (as well as Love in
Space and other goodies)