Couldn't wait.../misc.

Bolts of Ungodly Vision js3619 at WIZVAX.NET
Sat Dec 5 11:15:56 EST 1998

At 12:37 AM 12/6/98 +1000, you wrote:
>> shit.  :) Anybody up for a discussion of sound quality (or the
>> predominant lack thereof) in the BOC/Hawkwind catalog?
Yes, but in the end all there is is lamentation. heh.

>Yes, as soon as you get pretty much any of the old CD's onto a new stereo
>these days they sound like shit (Hawkind and BOC are both at fault here).
>In comparison the production qualities of albums from the same era of (for
>example) Black Sabbath and Deep Purple have higher sound quality, but of
>course with bands such as D.P. you are mainly relying on production to
>achieve a good sound as opposed to the band themselves. I would say the
Well, Deep Purple I know had  the production talents of Martin Birch on the
lion's share of their output in the 70's at least.  So, it's bound to sound
better than most of their peers' output of the time.  Note  how well done
CU and FoUO are by the same guy.. If BOC had him on ST I really really
shudder to think how GOOD that LP would sound.   If memory serves me well,
I remember Albert once commented on how disappointed he (or the band,
orboth) were with the production of "The Subhuman" on the LP. Also, the
same post said that the best prodcution bit on the LP was that way neat
music box intro to the mighty Flaming Telepaths.  To me, the way the band
goes nuts during the "And the jokes on you" end is one of the most intense
studio things they've done.Yay.

At least, Buck managed to do HF quite well. It's a shame they kept the
Steve shenck produced Harvest Moon and Still Burnin' on the disc. The
former lacks ominous heaviness and the latter just lacks being well
produced period.
God bless George Geranious for OYF.

Of further discographic note,my library for some reason has a 4 volume
listing of all sessions done at Atlantic Records. Hawwkind has only one
entry for the "Motorhead"/"Kings of Speed" single. BOC none. But, the MC 5
had numerous sessions for the work c. 'Back in the USA' -- a studio Black
in Comm is listed among some other tracks that didn't make the LP. Keen!
Also, for you King Crimson fans out there, the single cat food/Groon is
listed as Cat Food/Grumble (I think that was the name-- I couldn't borrow
the book, no card on me when I was there). But I could check. Lastly, there
are in once of the volumes a score of Rolling Stones live dates in the
Atlantic archives from the 70's, including Buffalo NY.
Angie was on the set list, so it might have been when Taylor was on his way
out or Wood (ick) was joining.

Hm.... I wonder since T&M was done quadrophonically at one point, if Mobile
Fidelity will use those tracks as a bonus on the CD?  Theyare doing t&M right?

Questions?Answers!Answers?Questions!
Jason