Couldn't wait.../misc.

Matthew Braun mbraun at URBANA.CSS.MOT.COM
Sun Dec 6 13:20:31 EST 1998

Jason "Bolts of Ungodly Vision"  <js3619 at WIZVAX.NET> writes:
>Hm.... I wonder since T&M was done quadrophonically at one point, if Mobile
>Fidelity will use those tracks as a bonus on the CD?  Theyare doing t&M right?

Yes, they are.  It appears in their (printed) catalog, as available.  It's
listed as catalog # UDCD 738.  However, their online catalog shows 737 and
739 as done, but no 738 available yet.  So probably in early '99.

I doubt they'd use the quadraphonic tracks as bonus tracks, since the tracks
probably wouldn't sound right on 2-track stereo--just...different.

I keep waiting to for someone to start up a company re-releasing all those
old quadraphonic mixes re-coded for Dolby surround sound.  Dolby-DTS at least
has made an initial effort, doing Alan Parsons' "On Air" among others.  (See
http://www.dtsonline.com for more details.)  Of course, there has to be a
market for that before they'll get around to doing the BOC stuff, and
Dolby/DTS is trying to build it.  It will probably be more feasible in two or
three years, as more people buy DVD players and invest in 5.1 channel home
theater systems.

                                        m@