Couldn't wait...

Paul Mather paul at GROMIT.DLIB.VT.EDU
Sat Dec 5 12:52:23 EST 1998

On Sun, 6 Dec 1998, Patrick Cordiner wrote:

=> Yes, as soon as you get pretty much any of the old CD's onto a new stereo
=> these days they sound like shit (Hawkind and BOC are both at fault here).

I'm not quite sure here, but are you saying the Hawkwind EMI remasters
blow chunks?  (They are the first Hawkwind albums.)  They sound pretty
spiffy to me.

=> In comparison the production qualities of albums from the same era of (for
=> example) Black Sabbath and Deep Purple have higher sound quality, but of
=> course with bands such as D.P. you are mainly relying on production to
=> achieve a good sound as opposed to the band themselves. I would say the

So what are you saying?  That Deep Purple and Black Sabbath were a load
of Milli Vanillis and Frankie Goes to Hollywoods who covered up their
lack of playing/musical ability with slick studio trickery??  If so, I'd
say that was insulting, and would humbly disagree.

=> main albums that stand out for me in terms of actual sound mixing would
=> have to be `Warrior on the edge of time' and `OYFOYK' (sheerly because of
=> the ability to get such a good sound out of a concert, personally comparing
=> the quailty of that to, say `Some Enchanted Evening' ).

Off the top of my head, my candidate for the #1 worst legit Hawkwind CD
transfer would be the Dojo _Chronicle of the Black Sword_, which sounds
like it was mastered straight from a master ED'd for vinyl.  (The vinyl,
on the other hand, sounds nice.)

Cheers,

Paul.

e-mail: paul at gromit.dlib.vt.edu

"I didn't mean to take up all your sweet time"
        --- James Marshall Hendrix