Couldn't wait...

Patrick Cordiner s328171 at STUDENT.UQ.EDU.AU
Sat Dec 5 09:37:27 EST 1998

> BTW, one of the wedding presents was a sizeable donation to the "buy
> Steve a real stereo" warchest, which I promptly put to its intended
> use.  The unfortunate side-effect of this is that I now realize quite
> clearly and inescapably, that most of my CD collection sounds like
> shit.  :) Anybody up for a discussion of sound quality (or the
> predominant lack thereof) in the BOC/Hawkwind catalog?
>
> Steve
> swann at plutonia.com

Yes, as soon as you get pretty much any of the old CD's onto a new stereo
these days they sound like shit (Hawkind and BOC are both at fault here).
In comparison the production qualities of albums from the same era of (for
example) Black Sabbath and Deep Purple have higher sound quality, but of
course with bands such as D.P. you are mainly relying on production to
achieve a good sound as opposed to the band themselves. I would say the
main albums that stand out for me in terms of actual sound mixing would
have to be `Warrior on the edge of time' and `OYFOYK' (sheerly because of
the ability to get such a good sound out of a concert, personally comparing
the quailty of that to, say `Some Enchanted Evening' ).

Thanks for listening

Patrick