Couldn't wait...

Laj Waldner erebus7 at DLCWEST.COM
Sun Dec 6 18:28:03 EST 1998

Stephen Swann wrote:

> So, I just signed back on after an extended absence (I got married to
> former boc-l listmember "Lurking Girl", now Tori Swann), and I don't
> have the patience to wait around for a few days to see if this is an
> old, already-hashed-to-death topic:
>
> What do people think of Metallica's _Garage, Inc_ cover of
> "Astronomy"...?!
>
> I just about passed out when I saw the lyric sheet for "Astronomy" as
> the background photo on page 3 of the booklet, and the sleeve art from
> _Secret Treaties_ on page 7.  In my wildest fantasies, I see this
> sparking a sudden resurgence of interest in BOC, ultimately leading up
> to the re-uniting of the old lineup...  of course, then the drugs wear
> off.  But just for a moment, it's nice to pretend.

Even though there all happy with where they are now, and Bobby and Danny
are exceptional and play extremely well together and BOC, it would be
great to see the original line up one last time. Be cool if they did
this at one of the BBQ's, I have never seen the original line up
unfortunately :-(.

> BTW, one of the wedding presents was a sizeable donation to the "buy
> Steve a real stereo" warchest, which I promptly put to its intended
> use.  The unfortunate side-effect of this is that I now realize quite
> clearly and inescapably, that most of my CD collection sounds like
> shit.  :) Anybody up for a discussion of sound quality (or the
> predominant lack thereof) in the BOC/Hawkwind catalog?
>
> Steve
> swann at plutonia.com
>
> P.S. The bride and groom's first dance was "Astronomy".  _Secret
> Treaties_ version, of course!  :-)

I can only speak on BOC, but when Colombia transferred the albums to CD
they did a horribly sloppy job. "Heaven Forbid" is well produced, and
has pretty good dynamics, "Cult Classic" sounds GREAT! One thing I find
that really helps an album with low dynamics, is a good Equalizer. I
bought a ten band Yamaha Equalizer about a year ago, and I was really
surprised how much it helps. You should definitely look into buying one,
especially if you listen to a lot of LP's, or older albums on CD. What
we need is 24 bit digital remasters, like they did for those Ozzy
albums, that would be cool :-). At least MoFi is releasing "Tyranny and
Mutation" in the beginning of next year.

Laj.