Couldn't wait...

Paul Mather paul at GROMIT.DLIB.VT.EDU
Sun Dec 6 19:38:33 EST 1998

On Sun, 6 Dec 1998, Laj Waldner wrote:

=> has pretty good dynamics, "Cult Classic" sounds GREAT! One thing I find
=> that really helps an album with low dynamics, is a good Equalizer. I
=> bought a ten band Yamaha Equalizer about a year ago, and I was really
=> surprised how much it helps. You should definitely look into buying one,
=> especially if you listen to a lot of LP's, or older albums on CD. What

As one who keeps the "tone defeat" button on his amp pressed firmly in,
I shudder at the notion of "graphic equalisers," but I'm mellower than I
once was, and realise everything has a place, and each to his or her
own. ;-)

=> we need is 24 bit digital remasters, like they did for those Ozzy
=> albums, that would be cool :-). At least MoFi is releasing "Tyranny and
=> Mutation" in the beginning of next year.

I'm also firmly of the "improve at the source" philosophy of hi-fi (as
opposed to "start at the speakers and work back" prevalent counter
philosophy).  So, when it comes to remastering, what is paramount, IMHO,
is working from the best available masters.

I can sample a lousy cassette dub at 24-bit, 96 KHz resolution, and
it'll still sound like... a lousy cassette dub.

Cheers,

Paul.

NP: Gov't Mule, Mama Kin, Boston, MA, 9/18/98

e-mail: paul at gromit.dlib.vt.edu

"I didn't mean to take up all your sweet time"
        --- James Marshall Hendrix