BOC: Feet/Knees ...stuff

Chris Warburton desdinova at EARTHLING.NET
Mon Dec 7 19:08:38 EST 1998

At 13:36 07/12/98 EDT, you wrote:
>> From:          John A Swartz <jswartz at MBUNIX.MITRE.ORG>
>>
>> And, like you say, "gimmicky, but entertaining".  Sometimes I think folks
>> who have "sophisticated" tastes (e.g., being a BOC fan), fail to miss the
>> fact that stuff can be just downright FUN without having any deep meaning.
>> It's like eating Filet Mignon vs. cotton candy.
>>
>Hmm...5 Guitars, Giant mirror ball, Laser light show, BD/EB guitar
>sword-fight, gonzo strobe effects during Telepaths, huge flash
>bombs--you kids were born too late!
>
>theo

Absolutely - though I felt the laser show was needless gimmickry: I don't
think we got the full glory here in the UK.  I still get the chills
thinking back to my first BOC show (Manchester FTH '76) - the biggest set
of conventional lights I'd ever seen in a normal hall, and "THE JOKE'S ON
YOU"!!!! - having only heard Feet/Knees I didn't know what the song was
until I eventually scraped the cash together for ST.

My two penn'orth on the sound quality thing:  if it was recorded analogue,
listen to it analogue. Remember the first rule of computing: Garbage in,
garbage out.  No amount of frigging around in the digital domain can change
the original inherent qualities of a master tape, the only thing you can do
is introduce conversion errors as you move from one domain to the other.
Simple logic also tells us that any attempt at further noise reduction
after the original recording is also going to have a deleterious effect:
the crude example is to record to tape with dolby off & replay with dolby
on - it will diminish the "noise" but you also muffle the top end.
I'm another of the hair shirt guys with no tone controls, and figure that
domestic equalizers are a blunt instrument at best (again, how can you
improve on the original source), though they may be some help in an
acoustically "hostile" environment. "CD Quality" sound is itself flawed,
not enough bits, and too slow a sampling rate.  24/96 may be closer, but I
think we have to wait for the storage capacity of holographic memory to
really get good quality digital!

Right, I'll get off me soapbox now and pine for my vinyl in a corner.
ChrisW

Free your mind & watch your ass!