OFF: Gimmickry: was BOC: Feet/Knees ...stuff

Paul Mather paul at GROMIT.DLIB.VT.EDU
Tue Dec 8 10:09:19 EST 1998

On Tue, 8 Dec 1998, brian halligan wrote:

=> I saw Tull in '94 and '96 and his voice was shot at both shows.  The closest
=> approximation of his voice I can give is that he sounded like "a pirate."
=> Don't get me wrong, the shows were great, especially the '94 gig, but his
=> voice is definately not what it used to be.  His flute playing, on the other
=> hand, seems to just keep getting better and his antics are still top notch
=> (even when recovering from a broken leg during the '96 tour...).  I'd
=> definately go see them again if I had the chance.

I saw Tull at Raleigh, NC, in October this year (w/Gov't Mule opening!),
and I thought the show was great!  It was my first Tull gig, and much
better than I'd been expecting, on account of the mighty fine, fluid
playing (w/*tons* of excellent flute).  I'd been worried a lot about the
singing beforehand, but I'd say it was "okay" (good even) that night.
It was certainly in contrast with the recorded live stuff I'd heard on,
e.g., the _20 Years of Jethro Tull_ box set, which I hate, because it
sounds so thin, nasal and over-theatrical (like a "pirate").  Unlike me,
Ian Anderson apparently considers his singing to have improved over the
years, on account of having vocal lessons, training, and such. :-)  I
prefer the earlier singing era, myself.

But, I'd also echo what Brian said in that I'd definitely go see them
again if I had the chance!  It was one hell of a show.

Cheers,

Paul.

NP: Sundial, _Other Way Out_

e-mail: paul at gromit.dlib.vt.edu

"I didn't mean to take up all your sweet time"
        --- James Marshall Hendrix