OFF: Gimmickry: was BOC: Feet/Knees ...stuff

brian halligan brianh at PULLEYN.COM
Tue Dec 8 08:49:57 EST 1998

Nick said
>>This guy is so amazing onstage that he needs nothing but his tired,
>>old carcass to put on an amazing show. I haven't seen him since, but
>>at the '87 show he was perpetual motion from the opening tune to the
>>last note of the encore. He's also a darn funny guy. Had himself
>>wheeled onstage in a wheelchair to open the show, then when it was
>>all over, his "nurse" brought the wheelchair back out and he
>>collapsed into it and was wheeled away. Based on that show, this is a
>>band I could see over and over again.

and Andrew replied:
>Unfortunately, he hasn't held up that well.  Last year it was almost
>painful to watch and hear him, his voice wasn't well at all and it
>made you cringe every time he'd start a song you'd like.  I don't
>know if it was a temporary condition (hope so)....

I saw Tull in '94 and '96 and his voice was shot at both shows.  The closest
approximation of his voice I can give is that he sounded like "a pirate."
Don't get me wrong, the shows were great, especially the '94 gig, but his
voice is definately not what it used to be.  His flute playing, on the other
hand, seems to just keep getting better and his antics are still top notch
(even when recovering from a broken leg during the '96 tour...).  I'd
definately go see them again if I had the chance.

Brian

Brian Halligan
mailto:brianh at pulleyn.com
http://home.earthlink.net/~halligan/wicker.html
-The new Fierce Wicker electronic showroom

Update 11/24: Part two of the FW interview.