OFF: Gimmickry: was BOC: Feet/Knees ...stuff

Andrew A. Apold mordru at FLITE.NET
Tue Dec 8 08:35:48 EST 1998

>All this stuff about gimmickry and stage antics got me thinking about
>the best damn concert I've ever seen. It was Jethro Tull in
>Philadelphia, 1987. The gimmick was Ian Anderson.
>
>This guy is so amazing onstage that he needs nothing but his tired,
>old carcass to put on an amazing show. I haven't seen him since, but
>at the '87 show he was perpetual motion from the opening tune to the
>last note of the encore. He's also a darn funny guy. Had himself
>wheeled onstage in a wheelchair to open the show, then when it was
>all over, his "nurse" brought the wheelchair back out and he
>collapsed into it and was wheeled away. Based on that show, this is a
>band I could see over and over again.

Unfortunately, he hasn't held up that well.  Last year it was almost
painful to watch and hear him, his voice wasn't well at all and it
made you cringe every time he'd start a song you'd like.  I don't
know if it was a temporary condition (hope so)....
 Stone and Sea are Deep in Life
 Two unalterable symbols of the world
 Permanence at Rest, and Permanence in Motion
 Participants in the Power that Remains
       - Giantish song from Covenant chronicles