OFF: Gimmickry: was BOC: Feet/Knees ...stuff

Nick English nick at THECAMPUS.COM
Mon Dec 7 23:48:22 EST 1998

All this stuff about gimmickry and stage antics got me thinking about
the best damn concert I've ever seen. It was Jethro Tull in
Philadelphia, 1987. The gimmick was Ian Anderson.

This guy is so amazing onstage that he needs nothing but his tired,
old carcass to put on an amazing show. I haven't seen him since, but
at the '87 show he was perpetual motion from the opening tune to the
last note of the encore. He's also a darn funny guy. Had himself
wheeled onstage in a wheelchair to open the show, then when it was
all over, his "nurse" brought the wheelchair back out and he
collapsed into it and was wheeled away. Based on that show, this is a
band I could see over and over again.

--  Nick