OFF: Monster Magnet

Laj Waldner erebus7 at DLCWEST.COM
Tue Dec 8 15:42:22 EST 1998

Scott Heller wrote:

> Here is my story about a day with Monster Magnet in Copenhagen!
>
> 370.  MONSTER MAGNET, Ash, Backyard Babies.  Stor Vega, København 12/6/98
> 185 kroner
>
>         What a day! Freezing outside and snow on the ground as I wait
> outside Vega for the band to arrive. They arrive from the hotel and I greet
> Ed, Jon, Tim and Joe as they get out of the van. We head into the club and
> Ed tells the tour manager to give me a pass for the show.  This is about 4
> in the afternoon.  The band grabs a drink and then goes straight to the
> soundcheck. Tim is very busy working on getting the lighting right and the
> band is testing their stuff. Dave does not come to soundcheck anymore, the
> band said.  They run thru some riffs and then finally play Evil, andpart of
> Temple of your Dreams, and Cage around the sun. It takes about 30 minutes.
> I stood at the back of the stage and recorded some of it. Evil with the
> roadie Coz singing was pretty cool. Ed complains that they can't get anyone
> to come out and sing the stooges song!  I hang out with Jon, Joe and Ed and
> we eat some food and talk about touring, living in denmark, etc.. We are
> planning to go out and walk around as the band isn't playing for 5 hours.
> Phil, the new guitar player, is having troubles with his guitar and says 15
> more minutes several times and then a hour goes by and we take off without
> him.  As we walk down the street towards the red light district (the only
> place in town with places open on sunday afternoon!). They are freezing and
> stop and see this giant rocket, like 3 feet tall that Ed really wants to
> buy and set off for 350 kroner, but they don't have enough money. We did
> not buy it and the store was closed when we came back by and they were
> bummed!  We continue on and are not seeing that much so decide to stop in
> the Spunk Bar for a drink. Ed and joe have a tuborg christmas beer (Jul Øl)
> and Jon a whiskey.  We are sitting at a table next to some drunk swedish
> kids, one wearing a Powertrip t-shirt. it takes him a while to catch on who
> is sitting next to them. He is freaking out a bit. They traveled all the
> way from Göteborg (100 miles).  The band has a fun time laughing and joking
> around and we talk about music and the swedes interupt and ask questions
> now and again and get some autographs.   The band is really into different
> stuff. Jon likes BEck a lot and is writing country and western songs like
> Hank Williams Jr.  Ed is really into 70's rock, Allman Brothers, Tommy
> Bolin, Cactus, etc..  Ed was still on a total high after just jamming with
> Gregg Allman and Gov't Mule on One Way out at the Filmore in San Francisco.
> I told him I would get him a copy of the show. Joe is still really into
> punk.   After 45 minutes or so we head back and the Backyard Babies start
> soon. Joe and I listen to them from underneath the stage. They rock out
> seriously and come back thru drenched in sweat after only like 30 minutes.
> [...]

Great review. Bought Powertrip a while ago and was really impressed,
it's great to see a band come out today that's so talented, they have a
very refreshing sound. Does anybody know where to get tour dates, I
would love to see them live. I was in a music store called AE
entertainment yesterday with a couple friends, being Christmas the store
was practically overflowing with people. they usually play an album,
then display the album on the front desk, that day it was Monster
Magnet's Powertrip. And when we got there, what do we hear, the opening
riff to "Bummer". Needless to say when the proprietor heard the lyric
"Your looking for the one who . . . ." which me and my friends were
singing and laughing to, he made this incredible ten foot leap to the
stop button on the stereo, it was hilarious :-).

Laj.