BOC: 1976 BOC Memorandim

Andrew A. Apold mordru at FLITE.NET
Tue Dec 8 22:59:14 EST 1998

Thanks to a BOC tagline I sometimes use, someone on the
Minnesota Vikings mailing list sent me a memo he had
from 1976 about BOC he received with an advance
copy of Agents of Fortune.   There was also a semi-familiar
bio included that has stuff that is from Levy's liner notes,
but not going as far into the future.  The lines about Stony
Brook, trading football for concerts, etc. is all there,
though.  It varies quite a bit in the second half, including
stuff about why they are different than bands like Edgar Winter
and MC5.  If anyone wants I'll type that up in a later post.
The Bio finished with quotes by Lawrence Keenan, James WolCott,
Bud Scoppa, and Lester Bangs.

  (the guy who sentme this was named Kevin Kinney).

Anyways, here is the Memo, transcribed (spelling as it was
there), for the records:

======
FROM:  Ron McCarrell
  TO:  RD's, SM's, RPMM's, S's  cc See Below
DATE:  May 12, 1976

Re:  Blue Oyster Cult/"Agents of Fortune"

Enclosed for your listening pleasure please find an advance
pressing of the forthcoming Blue Oyster Cult album entitled
"Agents of Fortune".  With this new release we have a
truly unique marketing opportinity to completely explode
the Cult.  Here's what we have going for us:

First, the Cult has delivered a new album that is undoubtedly
their most listenable and commercial album ever.  Key cuts
for FM include, "Don't Fear The Reaper", "This Ain't The
Summer Of Love", and "Debbie Denise".

Second, the Cult's live show is stronger and more elaborate
than ever, including lazor beams lighting effects.

Third, the Cult will be taking this new show on their
biggest tour ever.  The tour dates are included on the
buyways page.

Fourth, the album is packaged in one of the most stunning
covers of the year, and fifth, an overall marketing plan
has been developed to fully support your efforts.  This
marketing plan has been detailed in correspondence from
Tom McGuiness; and the five market pre-release campagin
was sent out by Gordon Anderson

When you combine all of these positive points with the
efforts and energy of Columbia field staff, there
is no doubt that 1976 will be the year for the Blue
Oyster Cult!

(signed Ron)

cc Andon, Anderson, Barton, Coffino, Craigo, Dempsey,
  DeVito, Eichner, Ellis, Gordon, Hood, Lundvall, McLean,
  McGuiness, Monteiro, newman, Oberman, Paynter, Pillot,
  Sherwood, Smith, Snyder.
"All praise, he's found
 the awful truth, Balthazar...
 He's found the saucer news!"