OFF: American Football

Ted Jackson jr. s2h2 tojackso at LIBRARY.SYR.EDU
Wed Dec 16 13:22:45 EST 1998

>> From:          "BREVARD, Adrian R." <abrevard at SHL.COM>
.  Miami needs to bench Marino but Jimmy will wait to the
> off season to take care of that.

Ghost, are you into those special-blend coffee beans again?  Bench a
shoe-in hall of famer?  What's next, pinch hitting for McGwire?

Actually, the problem isn't with Dan, it's with the game plan.  And
I'm not even sure there's anything wrong with that.  Jimmy,
correctly, realizes that running offense wins Super Bowls.  But
Marino's been running a passing, air superiority offense all his
career.  Tough to change gears now.  Really, you don't need a great
QB to win the Super Bowl.  Dallas has done it 3 times  that way in
recent memory, with Jimmy coaching 2 of them.  I think the problem is
that Dan can't accept the fact that rushing's the key.  Also, Miami's
ground game just hasn't been doing it like they should lately, yet
now the game plan's been simplified minimizing dependence on passing.
 Could be disastrous in a playoff situation.  Personally, I think Dan
should retire.  He has nothing to prove, and unless Tyrell retires in
the next couple of years, Miami isn't likely to make it to another
Super until Dan's career is over anyway...

 Jax will die without Brunnell; no Mark
> absolutely no chance.
Sad but true...Get well soon, Lefty!

 Oilers are too inconsistent.  Parcell can beat Pete
> Carroll and the Pats with his eyes shut.

Unless the game's in Foxboro...

 Please note I make no mention of
> my fave team the Pittsburg Steelers as they seriously underestimated the
> departure of Chan Gailey on the offense.  That and losing Yancy Thigpen too
> has crippled Kordell Stewart this year.

Yeah, well I think Stewart has to do a big bit of growing up before
he's truly a winner.  His sidelines display sunday was truly bush
league.  But Cowher got even big time in his press conference, eh?

theo