OFF: Metallica's Astronomy

Ted Jackson jr. s2h2 tojackso at LIBRARY.SYR.EDU
Thu Dec 17 12:13:27 EST 1998

> From:          "BREVARD, Adrian R." <abrevard at SHL.COM>

> And I thought it was just me.  I heard the clip also and came away less than
> impressed.  I dunno, I just don't get it with Metallica.  The more I listen
> the more they sound like a second rate metal band from the 70's.  Sorry if
> that offends but its how I feel.

There, there, Ghost, go and sin no more...
Your impression of Metallica isn't too far away from mine.  I think
thy're a pretty good band, but I'm fucked if I can explain why
they're so uber-popular whilst most other metal bands of their era
[c.f. Megadeth, a virtual clone] never made it so big, or have split
up and scattered to the winds...

And this despite the fact that their last 2 records pissed off a
whole bunch of their fans!  I'm told they're dynamite live [haven't
seen 'em] maybe that's part of it?  Maybe their fans are just growing
old with them, and refuse to let go?  Anyone out there able to
explain the Metallica phenomenon?

theo