HW: Watney's Red Barr

Stephen Lindsey stephen at SPATIALWARE.COM
Thu Dec 17 16:22:43 EST 1998

I remember seeing on a TV prog way back how Watneys tried to make
Red Barrel into a "national beer" (whereas a lot of brews in England were
and to some extent still are very specific to certain areas).  Basically
they bought upa lot of pubs, made 'em all sell Red Barrel, even started
painting some of them Red, all an attempt to, if you like, become
the MacDonalds of the beer/pub industry. (Oh and it does taste horrible)

Well basically it backfired (as someone mentioned this is specifically what got
the Campaign for Real Ale started) as people didn't want some generic
nationwide beer being thrust down their throats. Eventually a lot of
the pubs were turned back into freehouses, and even painted a different color
again.

I mention this as it explains why it
fits into the rant at the start of Utopia very nicely, which is all about
not wanting what someone else thinks is good for you.

"All you needs are anticipated, calculated, computer formulated
                We know you will be very happy here......"

I have often thought - theres not a chance anyone in the US understands this
reference ! Well now you know...

Cheers,
Steve L