HW: Watney's Red Barr

Doug Pearson ceres at SIRIUS.COM
Thu Dec 17 17:21:44 EST 1998

On Thu, 17 Dec 1998 16:22:43 -0500, Stephen Lindsey
<stephen at SPATIALWARE.COM> wrote:

>I mention this as it explains why it
>fits into the rant at the start of Utopia very nicely, which is all about
>not wanting what someone else thinks is good for you.
>"All you needs are anticipated, calculated, computer formulated
>                We know you will be very happy here......"
>I have often thought - theres not a chance anyone in the US understands this
>reference ! Well now you know...

Fortunately, when Nik played in the US, he changed the reference to
"Budweiser beer" (I forget which of the two live albums on Cleopatra
contains the track, I think it's the second - 'Past or Future'), so from
that, I assumed that it was the English equivalent (cheap tasteless stuff
that's overpriced due to the huge advertising budget).

I actually bought a 6-pack on Watney's RB in the US once ... it wasn't bad
(perhaps the export stuff is better?), but it was no Samuel Smith's
(Tadcaster Porter is easily my favorite sold-in-the-US British beer!
yumyumyum!), or even Bass Ale.  That's for sure!

        -Doug
         ceres at sirius.com