OFF: Metallica

Fri Dec 18 08:53:58 EST 1998

>I didn't, but I'd count Motley Crue in with Ratt and Poison, and Twisted
Sister for that matter, as being a bunch of big girl's blouses I wouldn't
touch with an eleven-foot pole

Motley Crue sorta started out much more "evil" than they later became, I
think -- at least with their second album, "Shout at the Devil" - at the
time they were sort of a cross between KISS and Ozzy Osbourne, albeit without
as much theatrics.  I saw them on that tour open for Ozzy and remember
thinking that they were going to hit it big.  Of course, they kinda wimped
out after that, although I suppose the KISS meets Ozzy image would have
been even more short-lived (even if it was cooler).

Twister Sister, on the other hand, never seemed "evil" - they seemed to
be a variant of KISS, just with no emphasis on the sexual stuff -- they
were all about having fun, rebellion, and pledging allegiance to heavy
metal.  Like KISS, I found them just sort of FUN - not musically deep,
but still, my foot starts a-tappin' when I hear "We're Not Gonna Take It" :-)

All this music was happening for me between about 1984 and 1987 -- maybe
if BOC hadn't been in a tailspin career-wise at that time, my musical
tastes would have been different... So, I guess we can blame BOC for Motley
Crue, Twisted Sister, and the rest of those 80's hair bands...  ;-)

John