OFF: Metallica

Fri Dec 18 08:58:22 EST 1998

>> Now, if someone can explain Guns'n'Roses to me... :)

>    Easily.  G&R produced a perfectly good schlock-bluesy pop-metal
debut album.

I think "Appetite For Destruction" came out sort of right around the time
that the hair bands were at their peak (or starting to fade), and here
was a band that didn't look as "pretty" and had a raw sound.  To me, G&R
were a transistion between heavy metal of the 80s and the grunge of the
90s -- they really crossed both borders.  I have that album on CD, and
still listen to it on occassion - it's pretty good.  There's some good
stuff on the "Use Your Illusion" albums, but it was kind of overkill at
that point, and my enthusiasm for the band waned after that (although
"You Could Be Mine" is one kick-ass tune...).

John