BOC: Re: Heaven Forbid, I'm back!

Joseph Brooks iplug at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri Dec 18 12:05:32 EST 1998

Well said. I still don't like JS's lyrics but other than that, I couldn't
have said it better. I can forgive bad lyrics up to a point, hence my
enjoyment of Metallica's later stuff.. But its harder to overlook when its a
band that used to have the best lyrics in rock (BOC, of course). Of course,
lyrics are very subjective.. what is pure poetry to one is trivial,
laughable or pathetic to another.. (Then some lyrics are just plain *bad*...
and I think we all know them when we hear them.. and no, I don't put HF in
that catagory.. :)

---

I think the album was more consistent musically than some BOC albums in
>the past, I never really fount it repetitive though. I do really like
>the album musically (IM sure being repetitive ;-)). They are suffering a
>bit lyrically, they don't have Pearlman,Meltzer, or the Bouchard's, and
>they replaced them with Shirley and some people don't like his style, I
>think he's all right, not nearly as good as the previously mentioned
>three obviously. I can forgive an album lyrically, if the music is good
>enough. Shirley really isn't bad when compared to a lot of other rock
>bands lyrics, I know we expect more from the cult lyrically, but I don't
>know if they will ever find anybody as good as Pearlman, Meltzer,
>Bouchard's, Moorcock, or Smith. I think the chemistry between the
>original members (writing any ways), and the people that worked with
>them helping them to develop there style and sound, were a once in a
>lifetime miracle, maybe never to be repeated. They have made one album
>with Shirley now, maybe it's time to move on. Buck and Eric are strong,
>I would like to see a little creative contribution from Allen eventually
>too, I think he's one of BOC's greatest songwriters, he seems to have a
>really unique chord progression style. As far as lyrics, wonder what
>Moorcock or Patti Smith are doing, and I wonder how Ralph Bakshi would
>do, there's somebody that always reminded me of the Cult a bit :-), I
>think it would be interesting to see what would happen if Buck, Eric,
>and Allen got together with Bakshi and tried to write a few lyrics.

JB
"Whatever you do, take care of your shoes.." -- Phish
"So Ladies, Fish and Gentlemen, here's my angled dream.." -- Blue Oyster
Cult