OFF: Tangerine Dream

Craig Shipley craigs at PYRAMID.COM
Fri Feb 20 10:03:28 EST 1998

Marty (and all)

The version of THE KEEP that is going to be showing up soon is NOT the
rumoured 1984 soundtrack; it is more like "THE KEEP 1997". Those that have
heard it (I haven't) have remarked that there is only two or three tracks
faithful to the soundtrack of the movie (but then, how many soundtracks
FAITHFULLY reproduce the music from the film?). So, the 1984 LP soundtrack
continues to be a Flying Dutchman. (I think it was a mass delusion, brought
on by repeated reports of "sightings". Either that or a passing Vogon
planet-destroying spacecraft beamed 'em all on-board and is using them for
the annihilation of small planetoid).

Yes, Herr Franke and Herr Froese are not on speaking terms. I think that
they both suffer from the lack of creative interaction that they once
shared. Froese has expressed his intention to turn TD over to his son Jerome
in the next few years, which, judging by the last few releases, may not be a
bad thing. I wouldn't call the last few releases New Age Sewage, but I would
call it "adult contemporary instrumentals" which the likes of Kenny G, John
Tesh and Yawni are prime culprits of. There are a few shining moments, but I
play the latest Jean-Michel Jarre (OXYGENE 7-13) infinitely more times than
I do the last few TD releases (retro as hell, but well done and in the
spirit of the first OXYGENE. There is a box set of both OXYGENES, the first
one re-mastered, with an extra track on the new one called "Oxygene In
Moscow". Get it if you don't have the OXYGENE releases already).

I'm not sure if Gary Davis carries TD stuff (I think he does), but I know
that CDNow does. And most of the big chains carry the general availability
CD's at bargain prices. Don't pay any more that $11.99 for any remastered
title...
Craig Shipley                        craigs at siemens-pyramid.com
Siemens-Pyramid Information Systems, Inc.
1100 Johnson Ferry Rd. NE                                Suite 400
Atlanta, Georgia 30342                              (404) 845-3404
Corporate Voice Mail                      (800) 333-5754 x-2023