Classical rocks

Tue Jan 6 13:18:39 EST 1998

> From:          J Strobridge <eset08 at HOLYROOD.ED.AC.UK>
> >
> > Well up to a point - but so do serious literary works, and how many
> > lecturers in lit crit have we got here?  I think rather there's something
> > about BOC (and Hawkwind's) imagery and lyrics that appeals to the same
> > people that enjoy comics.  Most obviously, "Buck Dharma" is a real 70's
>
> well I work in the English Literature dept (secretary, admittedly), have
> read a fair number of what are euphemistically called "the classics" in
> literature and also listen to Hawkwind.    Admittedly much of my enjoyment
> of the band relates to their sound but it's a point of much discussion (I
> guess) whether you can entirely separate out (or whether you should)
> words and sound from a composition (rock or choral or anything else) and
> the words/lyrics such as they are become an integral part of the whole
> piece.   Some lyrics are highly evocative and create a mood/environment
> within which the music will react while others are (frankly) crap and
> just intrude.   Either way I wouldn't be entirely suprised to see one
> day (and maybe not in the too distant future) literary study which
> included some large element of rock-rap-space-media music or whatever
> given that such things are what define our environment and,
> particularly in the 20th century, feature increasingly in the written
> literature.   Hawkwind and such-like bands would be a particularly good
> study I would submit!
>
> I have seen over the past few years a steady flow of essays and
> dissertations covering the music medium - but admittedly most of it
> is angled towards the "pop" "rap" short-term instant energy culture.
> However I'd say that there's definitely a space in academe for the
> proper investigation of the on-going influence and relationship of
> the rock music culture to our society, literature, arts, education and
> whatever else you can conceive.

Actually my background is in English lit.  I thought about getting my
PHD at one time!  There have been a few studies of Heavy Music.  One
decent book is:  Running With the Devil [I can't remember the rest of
the title] and it's a decent attempt at explicating the rock music
culture [though he does miss the mark often enough].  There's plenty
there for serious study, but I don't know too many lit. scholars who
could do it justice.   Maybe Carl?  Let's not leave him out of this
as one of high academic standing who digs BOC/HW...

theo

"I told you not to be stupid..."
--Ben S.