Off: Comics

BREVARD, Adrian R. abrevard at SHL.COM
Wed Jan 7 08:49:04 EST 1998

>Well, I may be a bit behind the times here but I just heard that John Byrne
was going to come back and handle a Spider-man title.  I may have to
check
this out although splitting Spidey into 4 alter-egos should be enough
warning
to stay away...

4 alter -egos?  You have got to be kidding me?  Why can't they leave
poor Spidey alone.

>ObBestEverComicRun: the Dave Cockrum/John Byrne tenure on the Uncanny X-Men!

Wow I would have to do some thorough self research here, but this may be
hard to argue.  Gene Colan's Dracula was pretty amazing stuff in the
70's.

> > ObMovie - _Starship Troopers_!!!
>
> you jest(?)   For about 10 mins I thought there was going to be an
> intelligent film interwoven among the dross but I gave up that hope
> soon enough and my sympathy is entirely with the stick insects!

>No, I thought it was superb.  I know Verhoeven brings out strong feelings
both for and against, but I think he is a much more intelligent
film-maker
than he is often accused of being.

I agree. My son's enjoyed the carnage but I enjoyed some of the more
subtle points of this movie.  Verhoeven is extreme, great (Starship) or
wretched (Showgirls).  You didn't miss much with Showgirls.  Even with
all the "Cheesecake" on screen I just couldn't sit through it.

>> now you're starting to scare me........

 >>still have most of that series in a box here >>

>>A box of the seventies incarnation?

Don't know about Ted Alger's but I think I have at least one copy of the
original series and a few of the second one while a member of the New
Warriors.