OFF: Starship Troopers (was Classic Rock)

J. Michael Looney mlooney at IONET.NET
Wed Jan 7 20:19:02 EST 1998

At 04:22 PM 1/7/98 -0500, you wrote:
>>British people, in general, not just Moorcock, have little problem with
>>American politics, just as Americans have a LOT of trouble with the whole
>>British system of government.
>
>it's not just British people.... I mean, heck, Haldeman's 'The Forever
>War' was almost a direct counterpoint to 'Starship Troopers' (though
>I doubt they'll ever make a movie of it...

Part of that was that RAH was a naval officer between WWI and WWII, Haldeman
was a grunt in Viet Nam.  Lets just say that their view of the military came
from a different angle. RAH would have died at Pearl Harbor Dec 7, 1941 had
he not been given a medical discharge in late 1940.  He was the gunnery
officer on the USS Oklahoma.  His replacement died at his battle station.
RAH was from a generation that the Civil/military leaders, for lack of a
better term, had their shit together most of the time and that they war that
they were fighting was for clear and good reasons.  The American leadership
in the mid 60's to early 70's can not be said to having had their shit
together, and the reasons for fighting in Viet Nam, plus the ways and means
of fighting it were, to say the least, not good and clear.